Feb 14, 2010

A Pale Blue Dot... The Only Home We've Ever Known. Happy Valentine's Day!

Suspended in a light beam... this tiny pale blue dot in a vast universe was photographed on February 14th, 1990, by Voyager from 4 billion miles away as it was speeding away.




Listen to Carl Sagan's poetic description of our Earth. February 14th has always been a big more special for me since 1990. When I think of the infinitesimal time & space I occupy, all remnants of pettiness and unnecessary worries melt away. Once I realized how lucky I was to just be around, I decided to live the rest of my life alive!



"..it has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience.There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known." Carl Sagan